Job Interview Questions That You Absolutely Must Ask Every Job CandidateView all posts
After carefully scrutinizing countless resumes, you’ve finally selected the job candidates that truly interest you. These individuals could be the next addition to your company’s team, but they have to make it through the job interview process first.
The job interview is your first face-to-face interaction with a job candidate. Whether you conduct your job interview via video or in person, it’s important to ask the right job interview questions. The questions you ask will help you make the best hiring decision for your company.
Job interview questions are designed to help you learn as much about the candidate as possible. The responses you hear will tell you how they work as a team, what they want in a manager, how they handle conflicts, what they see as their career path, how they think, what they’ve accomplished, how they view themselves, and more. This is vital info for any job interviewer to know.
Let the job interview supply you with the details you need to really get to know a job candidate!
These are the top job interview questions that you should seriously consider asking every job candidate:
- Why are you leaving your last job?
- If you wrote your own reference letter, what would it say?
- What’s the biggest mistake you ever made at work and what did you learn from it?
- Pretend you are at a cocktail party and describe our company’s services/products to your friends.
- What motivated you to apply for this specific job?
- Describe the best and the worst manager you’ve ever worked for.
- What is your biggest career accomplishment? Why?
- If you get the job, what are the first three things you want to accomplish?
- What percentage of the people that you’ve worked with truly enjoyed working with you?
- Can you describe how you would ___(complete a specific job task)___?
- What is something that you’d enjoy doing every single day?
- What makes us a better employer than our competition?
- Why shouldn’t we hire you?
- Do you have any questions for us?
It’s always a good idea to throw in a curveball job interview question too. Something like “Would you rather fight 1 horse-sized duck, or 100 duck-sized horses?” or “How many basketballs would fit in this room?” Answers to questions like this will reveal how a job candidate thinks when they are put on the spot. Learn why you should ask oddball job interview questions on Glassdoor.com.
Ask the right interview questions and listen to the job candidate’s responses. Take notes. Read between the lines. Really get to know the person you may potentially hire. Based on the questions that you ask and the responses that you receive you will have a good idea about what makes a job candidate tick.
Use this information, combined with reference checks, social media screening, and background checks to hire the best person for the job.
For WorkBright Users
Did you know that you can easily import new employees in bulk? Check out this help article to get started! Click here to view.
Not a WorkBright user but want to be able to easily onboard new employees? Request a free trial here.
By: Derek Lennon, WorkBright